Where did you DRIVE this weekend? (Roadsters only!)

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Re: Where did you DRIVE this weekend? (Roadsters only!)

Post by msampsel »

Alvin wrote:
msampsel wrote:Well here are some new photos from 6000 ft in So AZ, it's a weekend today.
First drive with the new tires ...
hmmm...I like the way it looked before. I'm sure it drives better but typically I've seen/run 185/60/14. Did they make a 185/55/14?
These are 55 profile. I think I've been spreading 50 in error and will correct.
I think a 60 or 65 profile would be better too. Will see how long it takes me to change.

The 70 profile is what I had before and ~ 2 K miles in 20 years. :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)
Stretch
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Stretch »

My first post to this thread! Man it's been a long time coming.....

Yesterday I drove my car onto the chassis dyno to run it in. After getting it onto the rollers and strapped down, we drove it a bunch more under load to seat all the various components. This was a bit nerve wracking as the braking on the rollers puts strain not only on the motor but on the gearbox and diff as well, lot's could go wrong.... Step one completed successfully, it was time for the 7K RPM pulls to get the numbers.

The noise this car made in the enclosed dyno shop was amazing. Intake noise from the Mikunis at high RPM's actually made me laugh, Jim's (JT68) SS exhaust system is outstanding and sounded even better than I'd hoped. Thanks Jim for making this piece available!

The car made 118 HP at the wheels and 147 HP at the crank. Torque at the wheels was 117. The dyno tech said I should pick up another 5-10 HP as the car breaks in so I should be at or a little above my target of 150 crank HP. I'm very please with these numbers; this is a stock U20 rebuild with nothing fancy but with all new pieces so it runs right at stock specs.

Back at the shop and off the trailer, I took it for a short blat in the neighborhood. Oh man was it solid and connected. Just a few things to button up then time to get out and scare the locals....

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1968 SRL 01034
Seattle/Portland
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

very nice Paul! Would love to see pics of JT68's exhaust system installed on your car, is it the 2" or standard size?
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Stretch

Post by Stretch »

Actually I think it is 1 & 7/8's inches. I was one of the first to get a system from him and I believe he was still working on sizes. Jim if I am incorrect please chime in.

And man does it sound good and look terrific. Can't recommend it enough.

These pics aren't very good but if you play with contrast on your end you will get the general idea how it looks on the car. Megaphone is spot on.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1968 SRL 01034
Seattle/Portland
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Would enjoy watching and listening to Paul and Garth roaring away from a Canby meet,,,,,,
Nice work Paul.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
garth
Roadster Enthusiast
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by garth »

pebbles wrote:Would enjoy watching and listening to Paul and Garth roaring away from a Canby meet,,,,,,
Nice work Paul.
Not roaring away from Canby but SI! After your border crossing experience, you probably were not listening to much of anything Canadian! Lol.

I am hoping for a stretch sunny weather for a road trip south. Maybe a trip around the Olympics during spring break in March. ??

Garth
_________
68' 2000
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

4 crossings that day,,, :smt013
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Congratulations those are some solid numbers you must be beaming! Hope your cheeks don't hurt too much from grinning!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Stretch

Post by Stretch »

Thanks guys! Yes, the dyno doesn't lie and I am a happy camper!

Paul
Paul
1968 SRL 01034
Seattle/Portland
sports imports
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by sports imports »

That is a lot of RPM for a motor with no miles on it.

Ross
sports imports
svwilbur

Post by svwilbur »

On Tuesday we took a spin up route 9 to Alice's west on 84 to Stage road and made a pit stop at the San Gregorio store met a writer/potographer for Thunder Road on a Harley and then headed down PCH to Pigion Point Lighthouse to Santa Cruz and a detour to West cliff Drive and back up 9 into the redwoods and home.

My wife also got her first shot behind the wheel while on 84. She seems to like it!
I have had the roadster since Aug 2012. This was the first time she got to drive it. I am a bit possessive. ;-)
Stacey Wilbur
1970 2000 SRL311-14335 White
svwilbur

Post by svwilbur »

A closer pic of the lighthouse.
Stacey Wilbur
1970 2000 SRL311-14335 White
RBMann
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by RBMann »

Love the smile, it tells the whole story.
RBMann

mechanic on '69-1600(not mine)
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Fun weekend drove a few roadsters and let my brother take the wheel :

[youtube][/youtube]

Not a weekend but this made my day today as I drove the roadster home from work:

I spotted an E-type Jag one car ahead of me while driving on I-280S. I sped up to snap a picture but when I got close the driver sped up too! Eventually I got side-by side and we exchanged smiles and thumbs up all around.

You know me I love to roll so I gave the signal and waited for the Jag to surge forward...then I gas it. 3rd, 4th and into 5th we were dead even. We took the same exit and chatted at the stoplight. It is '71 XKE V12 and she owns 3 of them!
Here is the best part: After we both acknowledge each other's cars she says oh my god I love MG's! I tell her it's actually a Datsun. She then asks me if I belong to an MG club.

Linda Jannsen(sp?) you made my day if you are out there contact me!

At work:
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Dave_Car_Guy
Site Supporter

Post by Dave_Car_Guy »

Alvin wrote:After we both acknowledge each other's cars she says oh my god I love MG's! I tell her it's actually a Datsun. She then asks me if I belong to an MG club.
That is hilarious. Mainly because I have conversations like that every week with my 86 year-old Mom.
Dave
Danville, CA
former 1968 Datsun 2000 Roadster