Restoring Console

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gars68
Site Supporter

Restoring Console

Post by Gars68 »

Anybody have any creative ideas on how to refurbish this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Re: Restoring Console

Post by bakerjf »

You can make the ash tray/lighter portion of the center console look new by throwing it in a bath of evaporust/metal rescue, and simply painting it. There are covers for the vinyl portion. Looks like you just need a new boot for shifter panel.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
ed B
Roadster Fanatic

Post by ed B »

See Russo's post for shift boot:
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25654

I think you could add some bondo in the area where the rigid foam is missing and then cover the center console with some new vinyl and spray adhesive. I don't know if anyone sells a bondo type material that has some give to it to simulate the rigid foam.
1969 1600
FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by FergO2k »

Upholstery shops will have foams of different densities (lbs per cubic foot is the unit of measure) that get used for side/kick panels and such.
If you are going to do it yourself, don't be afraid to use other materials. I did mine using the material harvested from a pair of woman's leather pants that I bought from Goodwill for 3 bucks. 3M Super 77 spray adhesive is your friend.
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
greydog
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by greydog »

You can use the expanding insulation foam as a filler. Comes in a sort of spray can. Goober if on, sand as needed.
Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
punkzdriver
Roadster Fanatic

Post by punkzdriver »

I have a 67.5 with flat dash that I just started to re-do the interior in. One pf the previous owners had redone the entire interior in a tanish color. I am re-doing it in black. I am going to be using black alcantara and a marine grade black vinyl. I also bought two different thickness of a closed cell foam. Those materials plus some corroplast for backing in some areas is how I plan on making new panels. I plan on taking pictures of everything and doing a write-up of how I did it all. I am by no means a professional and I am hoping it comes out well enough that my post makes it into the wiki. Im doing it in the little spare time I have so it might take some time.

But for my center console I will be doing the bottom half with alcantara, the top lid with a layer of the thicker foam and black vinyl. Plan on using the 3m 90 spray for foam, and the 3m 80 spray for vinyl.
Waiting for the bugs to be worked out...
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

In case anyone else was wondering:
Alcantara:
http://jalopnik.com/what-the-hell-is-al ... 1604799947

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
FergO2k

Post by FergO2k »

Jeez! In one felled swoop, Linda rendered my Alcantara hunting license obsolete. (cancel the plan for that trip out wandering east of Fresno / Clovis...)
So they just came up with a better term than Mercedes "MB-Tex". Its all in the marketing.
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
ed B
Roadster Fanatic

Post by ed B »

bakerjf wrote:You can make the ash tray/lighter portion of the center console look new by throwing it in a bath of evaporust/metal rescue, and simply painting it. There are covers for the vinyl portion. Looks like you just need a new boot for shifter panel.

Have you used both evaporust and metal rescue? I was wondering if one was better than the other. I could use something on my bumpers and headlight dishes.
1969 1600
Gars68
Site Supporter

Post by Gars68 »

thank you for the awesome responses. I have started disassembling the console. Question....how do you remove the console lock "ring"....the lock slides right through it. I removed the clip on the backside of the lock but I think that ring is preventing me from being able to separate the metal from the vinyl part of the console.
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

ed B wrote:
bakerjf wrote:You can make the ash tray/lighter portion of the center console look new by throwing it in a bath of evaporust/metal rescue, and simply painting it. There are covers for the vinyl portion. Looks like you just need a new boot for shifter panel.

Have you used both evaporust and metal rescue? I was wondering if one was better than the other. I could use something on my bumpers and headlight dishes.
I've used both, but Metal Rescue the most. I think they work equally well. When I started my restoration I purchased a 5-gallon drum for about $100, which lasted 3-4 months. I liked the big size since you can throw almost anything in there. The trick is that the part has to be completely submurged for a few hours for it work, so I don't know how you'd use it for your bumpers, but I used it on dozens and dozens of other parts - including my gas tank and heater box. It's a pretty amazing product.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

Gar's68 wrote:thank you for the awesome responses. I have started disassembling the console. Question....how do you remove the console lock "ring"....the lock slides right through it. I removed the clip on the backside of the lock but I think that ring is preventing me from being able to separate the metal from the vinyl part of the console.
I think after you remove the clip, all you have to do is rotate it and pull the assembly out from the back. It's been awhile, but I don't remember having to do anything about that ring.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by msampsel »

bakerjf wrote:
ed B wrote:

I've used both, but Metal Rescue the most. I think they work equally well. When I started my restoration I purchased a 5-gallon drum for about $100, which lasted 3-4 months. I liked the big size since you can throw almost anything in there. The trick is that the part has to be completely submurged for a few hours for it work, so I don't know how you'd use it for your bumpers, but I used it on dozens and dozens of other parts - including my gas tank and heater box. It's a pretty amazing product.
Might try vinegar first.
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)
carlkaty
Site Supporter

Post by carlkaty »

Linda, thanks for the link. A more modern version of Ricardo Montalban's
"fine Corinthian leather". Or maybe we could cut a piece out of an old
"pleather" jacket for the console.
Carl & Kathy, Just outside Watkins Glen
Swapped 68-1600
05 Volvo (was Linda's) now Ali's (grand daughter)
17 Ford Escape
96 Buick Wagon-the whale

JUNK is the stuff you throw away
Stuff is the junk you keep
Gars68
Site Supporter

Post by Gars68 »

Didn't see the 2nd clip. It's all apart now. Going to look at some vinyl material today.