Windshield Washer lines as well as a MYSTERY line ??

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

monkeybike
Roadster Newby

Windshield Washer lines as well as a MYSTERY line ??

Post by monkeybike »

Hello, Jan Harde here,
I have a small problem, I went to install my winshield washer bottle today, and also installed the Washer Nozzeles as well, now they feed into a central plug: my QUESTION is, where is the outlet of this nozzle, so I can plug it into the washer bottle ?? Anyone HELP PLEASE !!!!

Also there is a steel tube that appears on the drivers side at the bulk head, it curves around and enters into the bulk head, and comes out on the passenger side bulk head side, and goes down into a furruele fitting that appears to go back to the rear of the car ?? Now the previous owner put a rubber hose on this pipe, and plugged it with a bolt ??
Now is this another Gas line ?? Anyone ??

Thank You,

Jan.
http://www.Datsun-Fairlady.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roman
Site Supporter

Re: Windshield Washer lines as well as a MYSTERY line ??

Post by Roman »

The line sounds like a 1970 model gas return line?? Mine had an extra tank in the trunk. (up top behind the trunk lid)
Will trade guitars for roadsters, food, shelter, clothes, etc, etc.
Nissanman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Nissanman »

The washer tubes typically go to a "T" piece where the hole is in the air plenum, forward of the windshield, right above the heater box.
From the "T", a single tube enters the cabin behind the dash.
Now, for the oldies with a hand operated washer pump, this tube heads down to the centre console to the pump, then back to the fire wall.
For the more recent cars with electric washers, the tube heads off to the LHS of the cabin and exits through the fire wall adjacent the wiring loom.
Once in the engine bay it runs underneath the front guard upper ledge to access the washer bottle.

If the washer tubes and "T" are of unknown age, I would advise replacing the whole lot.
As the tube ages, it gets brittle and fails to seal well at joins.
Nissanman, just trying to help.
1965 SP310 Engine No. G-93326 Car No. SP310-10817
https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/60141836519
On the road again!
monkeybike
Roadster Newby

Post by monkeybike »

THANK YOU Guys so MUCH, I think you have Both just solved my questions, I am going to go look at it right now, and NISSANMAN, I am Blown away by your INCREDIBLE restoration, where are you located ?? Australia ? I see the Right hand steering, WOW was your car rusty.
I feel guilty as mine is a California car all the way and NOT a rust spot anywhere at all, it was Perfect, so the body restoration was a breeze basically, although it was in the body shop for 9 weeks, as they did a top of the line $ 10,000 paint job (Idid not have to pay though as I bartered for the job He he he... ONLY way to go) and you can look at the body resto at: http://mini-cooper1.com/restoration.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is a Specytacular Paint job indeed, the car had been Red & Blue and originally Black. So thus the Black.
Do you have any Finished pictures of your car or are you still working on it ??

Warmest Regards,

Jan Harde
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Stellar restoration, that engine compartment is incredible, nice work.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Nissanman
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Nissanman »

Hi Jan, yes, I'm in The Great South Land of Oz :smt006
Thanks for the compliments on my '65 resto.
It was a long job, took me over 12 years to get it where it is today.
It is ongoing, I'm doing all the interior vinyl at the moment.
Your black looks fantastic!
When I was doing the paint on my car, the top coat was red and that's all.
But once the clear was applied it came to life.
Then after the buffing, WOW, what a difference :shock:
Keep up the good work :D
Nissanman, just trying to help.
1965 SP310 Engine No. G-93326 Car No. SP310-10817
https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/60141836519
On the road again!
monkeybike
Roadster Newby

Post by monkeybike »

Dear Nissanman,
YES the land of OZ, I figured, and again your resto is second to none indeed, I can not wait to see some more pictures of the finished product, but then again they are a labor of LOVE that are really never finished.
I hooked up the washer bottle and the lines and I did replace the intire line as suggested as it shattered in several parts, interestingly enough, I had purchased the washer bottle on EBAY with the bracket and the pump complete for about $ 30.00, it was all Brown and desgusting. So I had the bracket powder coated black, and then I did as usual, soaked the washer bottle and cap in a bucket of 3 parts liquid Clorox Bleach and one part water, for 3 weeks, and then cleaned the inside yesterday with a bottle brush, it came as clean as you see it. It left all the brown disgusting setiment at the bottom of the bucket. An old trick that I learned years ago, works GREAT, just in case you need to do the same. Never throw an old one away.
And best of all, the whole system works fine, the pump motor is GOOD I was very happy in deed.
So take care for now, and wish me LUCK up in Solvang at our annual show in April, it will be the very first show for my car, as it has been out and off the streets for over 25 years now.

Jan.
johnscf
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by johnscf »

Nissanman wrote: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:53 am The washer tubes typically go to a "T" piece where the hole is in the air plenum, forward of the windshield, right above the heater box.
From the "T", a single tube enters the cabin behind the dash.
Now, for the oldies with a hand operated washer pump, this tube heads down to the centre console to the pump, then back to the fire wall.
For the more recent cars with electric washers, the tube heads off to the LHS of the cabin and exits through the fire wall adjacent the wiring loom.
Once in the engine bay it runs underneath the front guard upper ledge to access the washer bottle.

If the washer tubes and "T" are of unknown age, I would advise replacing the whole lot.
As the tube ages, it gets brittle and fails to seal well at joins.
I know there aren’t supposed to be any stupid question but these might qualify. This is a very old post but it’s the one I found when trying to figure out the route the hose runs from the windshield washer bottle to the nozzles. I’ve read the answer above but I’m having trouble understanding what it’s telling me. When it says into the cabin is it telling me that the line runs from the washer bottle through the firewall into the passenger compartment and then back out agin to reach the nozzles? I’m not seeing any holes in the cowl area to run the line through and get up to the nozzles and what is the purpose for running the line into the passenger compartment.
Charlie
Grafton WV
68 2000
70 1600
71 Toyota Celica ST coupe
74 Toyota Celica GT coupe
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Charlie:
Going into the passenger compartment is only on the older, hand pump style units mounted in the console. These were pre 67.5.
All of yours should have an electric pump, so they do not need to go into the passenger compartment.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
johnscf
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by johnscf »

notoptoy wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:01 am Charlie:
Going into the passenger compartment is only on the older, hand pump style units mounted in the console. These were pre 67.5.
All of yours should have an electric pump, so they do not need to go into the passenger compartment.
Thanks. I looked at a diagram in the parts manual on wiki and it looks like it runs through the firewall under the cowl to get back to the little pump under the washer bottle. I found the hole in the middle of the cowl that opens down on the cockpit side of the firewall but I don’t see a hole to run it back through the firewall to get to the engine compartment. The diagram looks like there should be a hole near the center section behind the heater
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlie
Grafton WV
68 2000
70 1600
71 Toyota Celica ST coupe
74 Toyota Celica GT coupe
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

If you are referring to the "disc (#1?) I think that might be a filter, not a grommet. I think it goes through the firewall with the wiring harness?
Definitely not sure there.

65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG