KA24DE Engine Mount Kit? Mount Pictures!

Discuss engine swap details here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Jaydum
Roadster Newby

KA24DE Engine Mount Kit? Mount Pictures!

Post by Jaydum »

Everything I've read through, I haven't seen many, if any pictures of these actually mounted up in the bay. I am new to the swap idea and have almost everything I need to do this but I'd love to see some pictures of them mounted up instead of being told to go look for pictures or ask someone.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thank you!
Alvin
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Re: KA24DE Engine Mount Kit? Mount Pictures!

Post by Alvin »

I am not aware of "kit" but here are pics I snapped of Dan's '66 KA24DE swap, he's "datsun65" on the forum and may have more detailed stuff.
ps where are you located?
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Alvin

Post by Alvin »

I did quick search and found that "gerardo" has a KA24DE mounting kit. "krismon" mentions it in his KA24DE build thread here:
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 6&start=15
from his build you can see that the engine mount looks alot different than the one made for Dan's car (above)

Krismon also references "inline-4's" build, again different looking engine mounts:
his build thread here, also using the "gerardo" kit:
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17163

Then there is "tacomaboy's" build
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12722

Finally "charlee0620"
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 1&start=60
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

I don't understand the reasoning behind using the mount in the wrong orientation.

Such a nice job incorporating an Alt. Mount.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
RCMike
Roadsteraholic

Post by RCMike »

Like Phil says, that mount system scares me. I have junked 2 sets of mounts in the right orientation. I can't imagine those would last at all with me..

But I guess they would last for most. I am just too mean to my car..
Mattk
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Mattk »

Jaydum-
I'm doing a KA-T swap, albeit very slowly, here is a pict of the passenger side mount. Still working on the other side. I'll be adding this to my thread later.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I found this type on "how-to-build-hot rods.com"
The mount is strong, is less prone to failure and is a capture mount.

Hope this helps

Matthew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MattK
Jaydum
Roadster Newby

Post by Jaydum »

THANK YOU ALL!! I'm so thankful for some insight! Located in Nashville, TN. Yes it looks as if there are several different ways to get the mounts done, but i didn't want to use a different mounting position other than factory to make it work, it seems to only be a few inches away from the correct mount position on the frame when mocking it up in the bay. But, I've see others use the exhaust side for the alt.
Jaydum
Roadster Newby

Post by Jaydum »

I'm thinking about attempting to make something out of cardboard and enlist the help of my engineer buddy (who's hair I cut) to combine a few of theses mounts to "simplify" this process, and possibly create a mount kit for myself and possibly do the same as "gerardo" and offer them for sale if I get it worked out enough. I've exchanged a few e-mails with him probably 7~9 months ago and haven't herd back recently, but I want to ay the mounts were going to be more than $500 and I think I could save some money going through my friend and get exactly what I am looking for.
Mattk
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Mattk »

Just curious if you have pictures of the alt on the exhaust side?

Cheers
Matthew
MattK
Jaydum
Roadster Newby

Post by Jaydum »

UPDATE:

I was able to get in touch with Gerardo and bought mounts, Before that I had purchased some L Series frame mounts and tried to get it mounted up to them while I waited on the OEM roadster mounts to show up from an individual on Ebay, but guess what... Didn't work. Just like Gerardo said. Bought some electrical relay thing to simplify the wiring process from a guy on the ratsun forums, all I think I am lacking is the exhaust being made and having the driveshaft cut to fit... Oh, and I have the oil filter re-locater, champion rad, in-line hose filler. Fingers crossed that everything else works out, I really want to be driving this when Fall rolls around in Nashville! Crap... Need an air intake... And new shocks. So Almost everything is done! Thanks to everyone for all the help and time you've all taken to post stuff up about these beautiful cars!
Teesun68
Roadster Newby

Post by Teesun68 »

Jaydum....I'm working on KA 24DE conversion and getting close to mocking up the engine and tranny in the frame...How did you set up your angles for the engine?..looking at mine, I think I will have the engine tilted to driver side by a few degrees to keep the tranny mount flat...Looking to get approx. 3 Deg. on the downside towards the back...Any thoughts/guidance based on your experience? Much appreciated...Michael
peter
Roadsteraholic

Post by peter »

This is almost the same mounting as the CA18DET engine, at my engine I had to tilt the engine not that far as normally is for the gearbox to get him strait, so the gearbox mounting is a new made.
the problem for my engine was the intake manifold, it was to close to the hood.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall,torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Datsun Roadster '66 #7000 Sora Blue, restored 220 Hp and 340 Nm
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

So are you using Roadster rubber mounts? If the load on those is any different directions than original angles, I can almost guarantee they will break pretty fast, especially if they are original but new parts. Pretty sure that was the complaint on the KA kits way back. I thought someone (Dean?) was making urethane replacements, could be wrong.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Teesun68
Roadster Newby

Post by Teesun68 »

Thanks for the responses and comments.
Work progressing...got the KA 24 DE engine position and "mocked in"..ready to get at sorting out the mounts...before I do...How important is the approx. 3 degrees "down" from front to back on the engine/tranny combo? I'm trying to watch my height of the intake manifold and right now I have it below the hood line but I'm pretty much level front to back? Will that cause issues later with the drive shaft alignment/position? Other issues to worry about? Any thoughts, ideas from the "swappers" out there?

Thanks! Michael
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

The angle of the u-joints are best when they match.
You might want to change the pinion angle of the rear axle with shims.
Very common with leaf spring.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB